Thứ Ba, 30 tháng 10, 2018

Waching daily Oct 30 2018

Hello and welcome to Central Coast Newspapers' Video News. My name is Jackie

Pearson and today I'm joined by Father Rod Bower. Father Rod is actually the

Archdeacon for Justice in the Diocese of Newcastle, welcome Father Rod. Thank you

for having me. I'm sure you are well known by all of our readers and viewers

thank you very much for your time. You've just written your second book I believe.

I have in doing and it's called outspoken strangely enough. How did you

ever come across that? The publisher was actually putting pressure on me for a

working title and and I couldn't think of anything, so he said I'll just call it

'Outspoken', because all justice is social and that then it became the working

title, and then they liked at the end of the day and that was just, all justice

social. I've heard a couple of things and read a couple of the interviews that

you've done since the release of the book and and you very much talk in the

book, or explore in the book that that continuum, that balance between what you

call justice and order. Do you want to give us a definition of what you mean by

that. Well often the order we need, order is really important we don't want anarchy. So

order's really important, but order without justice is tyranny and often we

see that in social dynamics and in almost in everything, from personal

relationships up to right up to the national scene. If we look at the

national scene in terms of our treatment of refugees and asylum seekers.

What we see there is the triumph of order over justice. So in other words, there is a

issue in terms of refugees what we do is go into order mode and have Operations

Sovereign Borders, that's all about order, keeping our borders you know safe

and all that kind of thing, but at the cost of justice. So

we're locking innocent people up. And that dynamic exists in in local

communities as well in personal relationships and so the book's an

attempt to I guess explore how that those two things; order and

justice dance together to create a safe and just society. Now you came to

national and international prominence with your your message on on the sign at

the front of your church about LGTBIQ plus and same-sex marriage but the

first time I heard you speak was on an anniversary of 9/11 and you were

speaking about the first time you got some pushback on your sign which was

following 9/11 when you put the words 'Forgiveness is Freedom' on the sign up

you know a new church and I'm interested in in exploring that issue of

forgiveness and and I suppose within the context of you know it is order and

justice the same as conservatism and progressiveness and and then how do you

overlay what is a spiritual concept like forgiveness sorry to plunge in the deep

end. Okay yeah and so often that dynamic of order and justice is seen in our

political life from a conservative and a progressive so it is really the

manifestation often but what both of those two sides and then that's of

trouble with our political life it's we are we are black and white where we've

seen as a binary theme whereas in fact both conservative and progressive have

something to offer and and and and how they dance together is really the

important thing there was a Robert Man who's a well-known public intellectual

wrote a great article only a few weeks ago on the asylum seeker issue and saying

really until though the conservatives and the progressives get out of their

corners and come together and try and seek a solution because at the at the

moment the the argument is about beating each other. They're stuck to the walls.

Yeah not adding these kids off Nauru. The only way we're going to get

these kids off Nauru is for the for the progressives who who are really

passionate about justice and the conservatives who are really concerned

genuinely and rightly concerned about order come together and try and find a

solution. Is that they need to forgive themselves in each other. Well I think we

both have to give up what we see is our moral high-ground and especially the

progressives who tend to want to dwell on them in the moral high ground and

don't want to compromise and but honestly life together is a better

compromise then as a nation as in our you know in our personal relationships

as well in the terms of in terms of the dynamic of forgiveness that is it is as

much a political concept as that is there's a spiritual concept to be honest

and the idea of forgiveness is not saying that you know what you did is

okay it may well not be okay. I like to think of it in terms of when

when someone harms me or hurts me or wounds me in some way what they're

really done is they've they've they're fired as if a metaphorical arrow into my

heart or into my being and and that causes the wound, but the trouble is

there's a there's a rope on that on that arrow that is connected to them and they

can wiggle that and it will continue to cause me pain. The idea of forgiveness is

cutting that rope. In the book you were adopted. I do believe that you know what

happens to us in our formative years, as children shapes us in one way or another.

Have you had to apply that that very I mean the the principle of forgiveness is

very central to the teachings of Christ isn't it how have you found your way

down that path? I mean I think in in one way shape or form we all have to give

our parents for something and my my kids

and so that dynamic I think I talked in my

in the book in terms of my dad having a problem with alcohol and that caused a

lot of wounding in our family and and the fact that I in my younger days also

had a problem with alcohol indicated to me eventually when I wised up a bit that

I hadn't forgiven him for that and and therefore I was playing out his his

particular script and until I could forgive him for that I would continue to

do that so you know that was a perfect example of that in my own story. So you

started out as a butcher which was your your adopted dad's trade. Was there a

moment when God came to you? Or was it more like a progression of you reaching

out to or finding? No Damascus Road experience, no not really I

mean I I went back to church in my early 20s after having 10 years never been

anywhere near a church and only because it was Christmas Day and I thought at

Christmas Day yeah he got a church on Christmas Day that's what I did and I I

was captured by the the otherness, the transcendence of what was going on in

this this this worship experience and I think I caught a little glimpse of

something that was more than the life I was leading and so I went back the next

week and the next week and the way and eventually people started to I was a

young single man so you know obviously people thought oh here's a, would

grab this bloke and make him a priest and and so I I kind of resisted that for

a very long time and and I thought I'll I'll settle it I'll go to the bishop and

he'll throw me out of his office and that'll be it and he didn't and 30 years

later I'm still wearing this strange uniform. Now it's been an interesting

decade for the Anglican Church, particularly in this area with

the Royal Commission and I guess this binds those issues of childhood and and

and metaphorical arrows and forgiveness. Are you comfortable with where the

Anglican Church currently sits as an outcome of the Royal Commission into

institutional child abuse? I mean the dynamic we saw in the Royal Commission

is is another classic example of order and justice.The church chose order

over justice and it's very easy for the church to do that. Since the Royal

Commission during that process we had some wonderful leadership from the then

Bishop Thompson who was very clear that he was he was not going to

allow that dynamic to continue that we would choose justice over order and so

we are now in the diocese of Newcastle at a point where we very clear that we will

pay proper redress. tThat and not only will we do that but we will have systems

in place that ensure that those kinds of crimes never occur again. Now of course

when you're dealing with human beings you you can never take your eye off the

ball you can never say "well you know we've fixed that now" because constant

vigilance is necessary to ensure the safety of vulnerable people. So you asked

me am i comfortable. I'm never totally comfortable because I think the minute

you become totally comfortable you actually you expose vulnerable people to

to harm. So never complacent but I I am part of an organisation that is utterly

committed to justice and to protecting vulnerable people from harm. How long

have you been at Gosford? I'm in my 19th year in Gosford, which is a

very long time in one place. So in terms of the local issues, in terms of justice

in in your own community what do you think the major challenges facing this

community are right now? I think the there are I think the major issue

is facing a community I are in our homes, on our streets and in our wider

community. So the major issue facing us in our homes on the Central Coast is

domestic violence. We are we are one of the highest incidents of domestic

violence in the country and so and that that requires an absolute change in

culture, especially amongst men. Men have to pick up the ball here and and just

simply not accept other men using violence or even even speaking in

violent ways or diminishing women as a joke and I think you know men got to

stand up and say "mate that's not OK" and change the culture when we do that

we will see change. Secondly I think the issue on our streets is is the homeless issue.

We have a high incidence of homelessness on the Central Coast and that comes from

a high incidence of mental illness mental health issues and so we've got to

do much better in the area of mental health on the Central Coast and that

requires money and lobbying and annoying our politicians until we get the funding

that we need. Are our politicians amenable at a local level?

Do you feel like that they're listening to what people like you would

say? It's it's it's a difficult issue and it's not just fixed through

through money but and. I think all politicians want to see this this change.

It's such a difficult issue that it's it's it's just not all a one one thing

fix all, it's such a multi-faceted thing. So it's it's not just the Pollies' but

there are our whole community has to come together and do something better.

Now I must ask you about the impending church closures on the

Peninsula at Point Claire and I think at The Entrance and parishioners were were

told that part of the imperative for closing some of those churches was to

pay for compensation to the victims. Do you want to speak to that? Yes I mean

that is that is part of the issue and certainly we as a church throughout

history and you know looking back the Royal Commission looked back about 50

years so over the last 50 years have been you know every parishioner every

priest the whole community have been part of a culture that allowed children

to be abused and and so we've got to take collective responsibility for this

as now I simply won't accept saying "I didn't know anything about it not my not

my responsibility". It is it's our collective responsibility

so therefore we have to find ways to fund proper redress but that's only one

part of what's happening in terms of the sale of church buildings. Most of our older

church buildings on the Central Coast you would notice are actually placed at

the on the water because the priests used to travel by boat and yeah so if

you if you look at you know the church here and Gosford or at the old church

Kincumber at that the and and so that the model of ministry has changed since

then. Now we travel by road but a lot of our churches were built certainly

before transport was as easily accessible as it is and if we want to be

a vibrant Church well into the 21st and hopefully 22nd and 23rd centuries then

we can't keep running a 19th century model. At the moment what that's what

we're doing and so we have to run a 20th century model that recognizes that

people travel for all sorts of things so we don't need a church in every corner.

We also need to be a well-funded Church and so the vision the bishop has for the

diocese is to have less parishes about better funded parishes where we can be

better service to the community. Okay back to other issues that you cover off

in the book from a very personal perspective. I think there's everything

your own childhood through to, you know guns in the streets of America. Are we

are we living, is contemporary society reflective of the kingdom of God or a

fallen world? Hopefully neither of those well I'd sadly now on one the the first

century Palestinian Jews had this concept of two eons of time the one we

live in now and the one that is to come and founder the firm that I work for was

utterly obsessed by the one that is to come and and he kept saying the way we

the way we bring that into being is to live it now and and so I think all the

work we do as a church is about trying to bring that that Kingdom into

existence and it's it's it's not just a religious thing. In fact it's a very

small portion that is a religious thing. It is a social thing because as I say in

the book 'all justice is social'. What Jesus called the Kingdom of God I would

now call a just society. Right. So bringing a just society into existence

requires every human being to to live as if it was already a just society and

that's got a lot everything to do with what we do with our money what we do

with our personal power. You know often we get hooked up on the sex thing Jesus

didn't even mention that, but he he spoke so much about what we do with our money

and how we manage our finances. Which brings us to another Royal Commission. Absolutely and then yeah

the the Banking Royal Commission is a clear example of how we have not been

living as a just society because financially vulnerable people have been

deeply harmed by greed. So the founder of your brand said "love one another" How are

we going on a scale of one to ten with that in the world in the world as it is

father. Right it's it's really difficult to to answer

that question because I see moments pockets of incredible events of loving

our neighbor and then I see things like the Banking Royal Commission and the

Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse. Where the absolute opposite has happened

there. So we are a mixture but you know I I spend a lot of time with year

12 students they are in schools in society and lecturing of society and

culture subject. In schools? In public in private and I always come away

utterly inspired by these young people. They are so much more societally aware

that I was when I was their age. They are so much more aware of social justice

issues and committed to a to living out a just society. Sometimes I think the

sooner my generation get out of the way and let these young people run the show

better off we'll be, but. So you haven't bought your book to do a plug but it's called

Outspoken, available in all good book shops and online. I must ask you how much do

you like writing in the broad spectrum of what you do for a living and what you

give to your family and community how much do you like writing? I think most

writers would agree that it is a dance between agony and ecstasy when you write

there are there are moments of mountaintop experiences where a word or

a phrase just that comes and you think I don't know where that came from but it's

wonderful I'm gonna ride it yeah and then there's the blank page that sits in

front of you for days and you just can't get up a word down

and and that's agony. So it's being a writer really just putting your

humanity on the page and I think all human beings understand the the dance

between agony and ecstasy and human living. Certainly do. We just have the

privilege of putting it down on paper. I want to leave on a high point but

just before I do as a consequence of your outspokenness you've had services

invaded threats against you what what keeps you going? I think what keeps me

going is I have three and almost four grandchildren and my little little

granddaughter is just about to be born statistically we are told she'll live

till she's 104 and so that's well into the 22nd century. I want it I want to

believe them a world that is a place in which they can live and love and

flourish and be safe and that's what that's what drives me. I think

that's a wonderful place to stop thank you so much for your time. Pleasure, thank you.

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more in depth interviews from the region's leaders, thinkers, doers and community champions.

For more infomation >> Father Rod Bower - Central Coast Video News - Duration: 21:31.

-------------------------------------------

Myko feat. Aerro - Seçilmiş Kişi (Official Video) - Duration: 3:10.

For more infomation >> Myko feat. Aerro - Seçilmiş Kişi (Official Video) - Duration: 3:10.

-------------------------------------------

This is All About Cats - Duration: 2:44.

For more infomation >> This is All About Cats - Duration: 2:44.

-------------------------------------------

NC Walmart's "Cupid Shuffle" video goes viral - Duration: 1:13.

For more infomation >> NC Walmart's "Cupid Shuffle" video goes viral - Duration: 1:13.

-------------------------------------------

Dora os rabb te a kay cartoon video - Duration: 1:21.

A kay song

A kay song

For more infomation >> Dora os rabb te a kay cartoon video - Duration: 1:21.

-------------------------------------------

Aaj Tak Latest video || - Duration: 5:23.

Welcome to Live. Indian YouTube channel. Please subscribe this channel

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét