Are you currently enrolled in a psychology program at your college?
Or are you considering joining a psychology program next semester?
As a psychology student for the last few years, I've gathered up some really good tips on
how you can be most successful as a psychology student.
So stay tuned and watch my video on how you can best succeed as a psychology student.
Welcome back to Psych-Minded.
I'm your host Kalley Marie and today we are going to be going over some of my top tips
on how you can best succeed as a psychology student.
If you're new to this channel, thank you so much for stopping by.
Be sure to hit the subscribe button so you'll never miss a video on mental health or psychology.
And if you're returning to this channel, thank you so much.
I know that I a lot of psychology students that follow me on Instagram and different
places on my social media.
So I wanted to do a video today that would help you guys that are either in a psychology
program or you're thinking of enrolling in a psychology program.
I hope that these tips will kind of give you an overview of what you might expect in a
psychology program, but also how to best prepare yourself.
So tip number one -- this is something that I did for a couple years before I went into
college to study psychology, but it's really never too late to start.
You're going to want to study all that you can before entering a psychology program.
And this means looking at different resources online, reading different magazines, articles
-- different books on psychology.
Anything that interests you will do.
I was particularly interested in eating disorders and different personality disorders.
And so I read a lot of books on narcissism and eating disorders growing up and before
I entered a psychology program.
That was really helpful because I went in knowing a little bit about psychology but
also was excited to learn more.
So this kind of goes hand-in-hand with tip number one.
You're going to want to stay current with any sort of news that's happening in psychology,
especially with the DSM.
The DSM is the diagnostic manual that all psychologists use to diagnose mental disorders.
And every few years this updates.
They add new disorders and try to keep it as current as possible.
And there can be a lot of controversy surrounding certain disorders, whether they are added
or not.
So it can be really interesting to see, sort of, what happens in the field of psychology
over the span of several decades.
Especially because it is such a new field.
So staying really current with what's going on in research and in the news is really important.
So number three, you're going to want to stay really open-minded.
As I mentioned, psychology is still a very young field and there are a lot of theories
that have come about in the last 100 years.
Most people are familiar with Freud's theories and different philosophies about behavior,
such as Pavlov's Dog.
But some of these theories go a little bit deeper and it's really important to try to
stay open-minded.
You're not going to agree with everything.
You may not even like the theories that are being discussed, but there is always something
to gain.
And there is always something to be found in these theories and from these Grandfathers
of Psychology, if you will.
And I just encourage you to stay really open-minded to all that you're learning and try to see
it from a very objective perspective.
So number four is specifically about studying.
You're going to want to find your study technique.
You're going to want to experiment with studying during different times of the day, even different
times of the week if you have a work schedule to work around.
You're going to want to try to find what schedule is going to work best for you.
And unfortunately, I can't tell you what that is going to be.
That is something through trial and error, you'll be able to find.
And luckily, going into freshman year, they do understand that you are, sort of, adjusting
and getting used to a new schedule.
And I know that a lot of colleges do offer classes on how you can find that study technique
and get more specific tools on how to better study.
Number five is where I get my books.
I have only gotten my books electronically for the last like, two and a half years.
I got some hard copy books at the beginning when I first started in my associate's degree
and then very quickly moved to electronic sources.
So I have had actually a lot of luck with like, Amazon Kindle.
Some of my textbooks have been actual books.
So Ican just get the digital version for like 12 or 15 dollars depending on what the book
is.
Also, vitalsource.com is another really good source.
They have an app for your phone so you can download it and then have the book on your
phone.
They have a lot of different textbooks.
I just ordered one of my books for fall semester from Vital Source.
So be sure to check out those two resources.
And I know that there's a lot of other electronic options.
I also ordered one of my books as a PDF off eBay.
So there are a lot of different, round about ways you can go and not have to spend hundreds
of dollars on your textbooks.
So do your research on some of these online sites I mentioned.
And try to find your books for cheap.
And number six, this is especially important in psychology -- you want to make sure you
network.
Meet friends.
Meet professors.
Meet students in their Master's degree, even PhD's.
People that you can network with online or in person to be able to ask them questions
or, you know, have them help you with research -- if and when that time comes for you.
You want to start now.
You want to start building those connections as soon as possible.
And that is something that I didn't do.
So it took me until my Junior year to really be like -- I need to make sure that I have
some friends and some collegues and some different college students that I can bounce ideas off
of.
So build your network -- it's super important.
If you're going into psychology, you are in for a treat.
Congratulations if you have decided to major in psychology.
I hope that these tips will help you.
If you enjoyed this video, please give it a thumbs up and let me know.
And if you are going into psychology, leave a comment and let's talk about it!
And if you have any more questions or want any more advice from me, please let me know.
Don't forget to subscribe if you haven't yet for more amazing mental health content.
And I will see you all next time, bye!
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét