These four babies in there and those pictures of babies like it's that ...even
if I'm in, I'm in ! I'm ready! My tear ducts are ready to go
They're like: all right, just get in, just give me something
Hey there's Alex with Your Local Studio! I have with me two awesome experts:Joe
Daly! It's just so nice to say that we're awesome. You are and you guys are
awesome. Get you right there! We have Joe Daly, video producer extraordinaire and Kevin
Colby with KevinColby.com, a video creative dude. Hello! We're gonna break
down some marketing videos right now! Today's video we're breaking down is
actually from Upwork, it's a case study, really fascinating! Let's not talk
anymore and just watch it. Interesting: it starts with the David Posey and that
humanism in our like understanding but now the upbeat, in the tone of the music
pulling you along...Oh, and then now here's Upwork comes, it's funny how
nothing about Upwork until it's almost three quarters in. A lot of photos.
Alright, so let's let's break this down, gentlemen. Strategy! We work over three things:
strategy, the overall production of the video and then the distribution and
how they used it. So let's let's start with strategy here. Joe, what's your first
thoughts of their approach here. The strategy here? Is to get you get
your heart invested in it because nothing like the music, the kids
He throw babies in there and those pictures of babies, it's like..I'm in! I'm in!
My tear ducts are ready to go.They're like:
"alright, just give me something"
I think it's fascinating the duality of this purpose of the video: it actually
helps Touchnote as well as Upwork. Right! it's like Touchnote could use this
because it promotes their app but Upwork could definitely promote them as
well. It's who did it. I differ a little I think it
actually is a home run for Touchnote. I think it just kind of mentions Upwork
In fact the first time I watched- I watched this a couple of times -and we just watched the
first time is like when it was over I thought: Did he even mention Upwork?
I mean it came up at the end so I had to watch it again and and it's subtle. To
me the fact that it's a story, you know, and you've got the fact that when he gets
into it , you know, as a parent... well then you can relate to people who have
kids, if you have kids, grandparents, whatever and then you're seeing the
constant photos and stuff like that it taps into this, which is brilliant
I actually thought at first it was gonna be something from Shark Tank.
But the strategy to me was just a really pull at
the heartstring about why this product is needed. That's why I think for Touchnote it's
brilliant because again: it's an app right? But it's an app
that look what you can do when you tapped into it. I personally don't know that I
would be that much more inclined to use Upwork because of this video. Probably
Upwork is the one that reached out to them and I think you're
willing to give up something ,so you're willing to give up: it's not a commercial
for Upwork. There's the subtle things in there, yeah?
but that's how that's how it hit with me. So in my mind Upwork has a
negative connotation to it. I've heard horror stories through it and everything.
So I think part of the strategy on this one is "let's make it about this other
company that has a good vibe to it and let's put a logo on it
And the people will associate that good vibe. Interesting! Trying to
touch yourself to good vibes yeah
Obviously he's the CEO of the company but he's really good!
That's a good point though! It could be that we need
something, some positive thoughts on our company: here's a company that's used it
with good success so here's the deal: "We'll let you talk about your business
if we can show us in a better way. Interesting, that
connection approach
So let's talk about the production
quality: I think it was really good! Gorgeous! I wouldn't say it's like one
we broke down and was Apple's home pot. It's not cinematic, it's not
like a movie quality. But it is high on
corporate video scale. They spent a lot of time, like the interview, they did
with them was was really nice. Lit and shot two cameras with photos in the back
with photos in the back perfectly staged They had a lot of intentionality through
this. I'm thinking they probably did an interview and then went and then just
shot on all this b-roll thinking: How can we help tell this story? And he
sure opened his home. A lot to do, to show a family and all these these these kids
What are you guys thoughts on the production quality? Well you were
comparing it to the home pod it's I think it's just as well shot, that's that
one. It's just different because it doesn't have the huge, like that one was
like a cinematic, like had the whole film crew.
And they had all the the big name producers and cinematographers. This is
beautifully shot. I thought I mean he's got a film quality too and the music is
perfect the use of slow mode. Yes, everything's slightly slowed down. I
don't think it's 60 shot it or is it 60 shot at 30 or so its shor 60
frames per second or even faster and then slowed down. Yeah I mean, it's it you
know I mean slow-mo can give you a very nice marine and it can tug at you you
know everything was very- and it sounds weird -but everything's very deliberate
in here as opposed to the business own bikes where it's
caught in the moment.
Again, it goes back to the story, the music, the production. I think I just
think it's a home run on. Yeah! So how I came across is actually on Upwork's home
page as of today this is their home page. It's with him and it says:
"Touchnote, watch his story " And then if you click on that
it pops up and you can watch it. And then I backed into
finding the Vimeo channel, looking into it there well. And that's
that's brilliant for for Upwork, because again if there's
been bad press and they're not the only company out there that does this
right right Therefore, why not go with somebody who's
very good, got a phenomenal story. Yes I mean the site is Upwork
it's really nice it's clear what they do
So as far as the distribution
it was probably specifically: we need something to help
convert and let's from the homepage and that's probably the only use case. I
haven't actually searched Vimeo. Usually when the video is just on Vimeo it's
meant for that kind of thing.This is one year ago, 45.000 views
which is pretty amazing for Vimeo and now I think this includes it
on the home page because it's embedded on there, right? So I'm pretty sure those
views are aligned. So you click on "watch a story", those are the same views so the
question is 45.000 views over one year it was a success? After watching it
I thought it was good.Alright I enjoyed it but the thing is I don't
even know this video existed. I come to Upwork.
often and I didn't know about the video.
I was like "Oh, look, it says watch his story", so small and the play button
is actually on his leg. Hard to see, so I think they're missing an
opportunity! This this story is so great.
I think they couldn't accentuate it more! Again we're looking at
it at a year later, maybe at the beginning they did a more in your face
campaign. I'm not following them on any social channels so
maybe if I was following them on their Facebook page I
would have seen something, but I wouldn't have minded. But I'm a video guy
An email update because I got email updates from them, it's like: "Are you curious how
you also could use Upwork? Are other businesses using Upwork? Take a look at
this. I would probably fine with that, as
far as another distribution channel for this type of video case study. Wonder if
they used freelancers to do the video! Probably!
Ok, guys, any takeaways for business owners or marketers of this video case study?
Key takeaways: I just think as a video producer, production quality it
just goes such a long way. If you do have that extra money to spend on the
super talented cinematographer and and writer or whatever storyboard of this
kind of thing, if you have it you can get really high quality system. So
that's my take away: if you invest money in there your product is
gonna look that much better. Two things: one: go with the story
find a story because that's gonna be the best way to make an impact and then also
remember this is tough, I think for businesses: is really not about you so
Upwork took a back seat in this to Touchnote and that is an
strategic decision that can be hard for businesses to do
because if you don't want to use them, even you don't really care what Upwork is
about, so those are my two takeaways! All right so you can get an amazing, it can
increase your message but if you increase the production value. We're
going to put it, because it pulls you in that much more. And don't be afraid to not be
the forefront, putting a story, a great story of someone else. And just using
that to actually kind of pull yourself to your own brand right ? Yeah
Thanks guys for joining us that was another Video Marketing breakdown we'll
see you guys next time, bye!
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét